Skip to content

Getting the Best Home Insurance Deal

home insurance

Ensuring your home and making sure you have everything covered can often feel complicated and time-consuming.

Here at , we aim to make the whole process as simple and straightforward as possible and find the best home insurance policy for you.

To get the best deal it’s important to know what home insurance includes so you know what you need and what you don’t.  It is important that you don’t buy too much cover for what you need.

Here’s an overview of the home cover on offer to help you get started:

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance covers the cost of any damage to the structure of the house such as the roof, walls, ceilings, floors, doors and windows in the event of a fire, explosion, bad weather, theft, vandalism, subsidence and more. Most permanent external domestic fixtures such as garages, swimming pools, patios, driveways and greenhouses are normally included too.

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance covers the possessions stored in your home, such as TVs, clothing and furniture – over time, the value of your belongings can mount up to thousands of pounds and replacing them out of your own pocket could be financially impossible. Calculate the value of the contents of your home and make sure your policy covers you to replace the goods up to this amount. If you own precious or antique items you may need to list these separately.

Homeowner or Tenant?

If you own your home and the property is mortgaged, you don’t have to stick with your mortgage provider to get the best home insurance policy. It’s likely that they will need to see proof that adequate buildings cover is in place but it’s worth shopping around for a more competitive quote. If you rent your home, then take a look at tailored Tenant Insurance policies. Usually, your landlord will provide buildings cover so you can save money by just taking out a policy that covers contents, accidental damage and personal possessions. Don’t pay for the cover you don’t need but do make sure nothing is left to chance.

Do I need to insure both my buildings and contents?

It’s likely you’ll need both if you own your home, especially if your property is mortgaged. Combined buildings and contents cover can often save you money; use our comparison tool to get instant quotes from some of Australia’s leading providers.

Optional Extras

The following additional covers can be added, although some providers may include them as standard:

• Extended accidental damage

• Legal expenses and family legal protection

• Cover for personal possessions you take away from your home

• Garden and bicycle

• Identity Theft Cover

• Home Emergency Cover

• Protected no claims cover